Friday, September 26, 2008

alice's adventures in microscopic wonderland


Illustrator Colleen Champ used micrographs of natural objects created by Dennis Kunkel and arranged them into a picture of three beetles enjoying tea at a table of butterfly wings, surrounded by a field of crystallized vitamin C.


National Geographic's write up of Colleen Champ's illustrations for Alice's Adventures in Microscopic Wonderland, a winner in the 2008 International Science & Engineering Visualization Challenge.

p.s. First person to find two copies of this book available for sale online wins a free copy from me -- 'cause I can't find it anywhere.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the NSF's info on the work, it seems like the book might still be a work in progress.

Also, the word "proposal" can be seen at the bottom of a higher-resolution image.

But I'd contact Colleen and Concise Image Studios directly at ConciseImage.com.

I agree; this is a great piece of art+science, and I want this book, too!

suttonhoo said...

great detective work, Jane -- thanks!

& I owe you a book (once it's finally published). :)

Anonymous said...

Suttonhoo, if you haven't already emailed and gotten a response from Colleen, she said they are in the process of sending the book to the publishers!

I'd love to take you up on your offer of that free book! Thanks! But this really is a "must-get" book!

suttonhoo said...

very cool. I'm going to need your contact info -- please drop me a flickr mail or direct tweet when you have the time. or just leave your email address in a comment here so I can find you once the book is published.

thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I got a beautiful poster of the "mad hatters tea" here

www.microscopicwonderland.com

blu8bird said...

hey, I got one too, of a Hookah smoking caterpillar--not sure if this is for kids! it's actually a termite sitting on a protozoa---CRAZY BUT I LOVE IT!! www.microscopicwonderland.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails